Hawaiian Shirts Online will give away 100% of our profits made on Saturday 26th March for Prince Kūhiō Day.
If you are a non-profit organisation or charity supporting the native Hawaiian community and you are in need of additional funds please follow the steps on how to apply mentioned at the bottom of this blog.
You can read more about our previous fundraising initiatives here.
What is Prince Kūhiō Day?
Prince Kūhiō Day celebrates the anniversary of the birth of Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole, highlighting the achievements he had accomplished during his lifetime. He is best remembered for his efforts in making the congress pass the 1920 Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, which provided homesteads for native Hawaiians. He also played a part in having Hawaii admitted into the US as the 50th State, which was achieved after his death, in 1959. He is known by Hawaiians as the “People’s Prince” and his efforts are celebrated yearly by festivities, parades and other cultural events.
Why is Hawaiian culture special?
- According to Wander Wisdom, when the Amerians overthrew the Hawaiian government in 1893, Hawaiian language was banned for a while and was only introduced back to school curriculum in 1987. For this reason, it is a “critically endangered” language, only known by 1.3% of Hawaii’s population.
- A cherished custom in Hawaii is the tradition of the “Lei of Aloha”. Lei is a flower garland which is offered as a sign of hospitality, respect and love, according to Truly Hawaiian.
- Since there was no written language in Hawaii until the 1820’s, Hawaiians have a wide variety of songs, chants, poems and dances expressing their history and culture, as reported by History Hawaii.
What We are Doing to Help
100% of the profits made by Hawaiian Shirts Online on the 26th March will be donated to a charity supporting native Hawaiian communities.
Are You a Native Hawaiian Charity?
If you are a non-profit organisation or a charity supporting the native Hawaiian communities or the cultural heritage of Hawaii, we would like to hear from you.
Please follow these steps to apply for the funds:
- Go to our Facebook page
- Find our post about this event
- Share the post publicly
- Collect as many likes as you can on your shared post until the 26th March.
The donation will be sent to the organisation who gets the most likes on Facebook until the 26th of March. We will announce the results on the 29th of March.